Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ummmmm, yeah....about India......

So, up until about 10pm last night, I was hell bent on going to India. I thought I needed this rite of passage, an experience that could challenge and enliven me, something to shock me out of my mundane routine. What I realized when I took the time to sit with what my gut was telling me, (and with the help of Xavi's convincing evidence) was that 2 weeks in India was not only a tease, but would be more stressful than anything else. A 24 hour journey, followed by jet lag and exposure to fun new amoebas, an extremely stimulating environment, and my travel companion's, er, lack of enthusiasm sounded like more stress than I wanted. With a $200 fee, I can get another ticket before August with the $ towards the India ticket (Greece, anyone?).

So, after careful and thorough deliberation of what we should do instead lasting about 6 seconds, Xavi and I decided Peru would be quite a lovely option. Same time zone, 8 hour flight, Machu Picchu, warmer climate, beaches, the Andes, the Amazon, endless hiking/camping opportunities and $500 rountrip....need I say more? So, at 11:51 pm Friday night, we arrive in Lima and hopefully begin a restorative, eye opening, realization of a long held dream to visit this mystical, diverse country. Its not that I've written off India alltogether. I still feel an immense pull to visit. But with more time, as in at least 2 months. Ehem, back to packing........

3 comments:

miss lavender said...

I love it (& am living through you vicariously regardless of exotic destination)! Have a genuinely enjoyable experience.

Mary TIger said...

Happy Trails to Laurita and Geoff!

Andalee said...

Good luck, woman. Take the book Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins with you. He calls Lima Dead dog city. It is a great book and will be a good read while you are over there. Love you and travel safe (PS-I'm going to Turkey!)